Swimming Pool Chemical Safety
Every year there are numerous fires, toxic vapor releases, and personnel injuries in which pool chemicals were a factor. If you maintain your own pool, you need to know this information.
A number of pool chemicals can be highly reactive and capable of generating high temperatures, fires, and releasing toxic vapors if improperly handled or stored.
Reactions may be triggered by water wetting the chemical, or by the inadvertent mixing of a pool chemical with an incompatible material. Some pool chemicals are self-reactive over time, even without adding moisture or mixing with other materials.
Keep them dry
Pool chemicals become a hazard when they become wet with even small amounts of liquid. Under normal circumstances, pool chemicals are intended to be added to large quantities of water. If, instead, a limited amount of water is added to a chemical, an unwanted reaction may occur, resulting in an increase in temperature and the release of toxic gas. Even a small amount of water splashed on these chemicals may in some cases trigger a strong reaction. Although the chemicals are usually packaged in plastic bags that are stored in sturdy cartons or drums, accidents have occurred when water leaked into damaged or open containers.
For this reason it is important to remember to never store pool chemicals in an area with a leaky roof, dripping pipes, or wet floors and to be sure the area is secured with a lock to prevent access by children.
Mixing of incompatible chemicals is likely to lead to a chemical reaction that may generate temperatures high enough to ignite nearby combustible materials. Mixing can also lead to the release of highly toxic and corrosive chlorine gas. Reactions have also been traced to the mixing of old and new chemicals of the same type. The mixing of pool chemicals with completely unrelated materials such as material swept from the floor, oily rags, and other miscellaneous materials have been known to cause strong reactions with the potential for a resulting fire.
Pool chemicals can cause injury if they directly contact a person’s skin, eyes, respiratory or digestive system. The chemical will immediately react when wetted by perspiration, tears, mucus, and saliva in the nose, throat, respiratory and digestive systems. Such injuries may occur from direct chemical contact with the skin or if chemical dust in the air contacts eyes, is inhaled, or is ingested via contaminated food.
Remember always keep pool chemicals:
- Tightly sealed
- Away from children
- Separated from other chemicals and any foreign material
- Always read and follow manufacturer instructions carefully before using
Your staff at AquaSense Pools
Frisco, TX 74530